Diarrhea is a hot topic. Literally. When things are moving too fast down under, it can be painful and unexpected. But have no fear, I am here to explain why this happens to you.
What is diarrhea?
Let’s start with the basics. Diarrhea is defined as loose or watery stools that occur three or more times in one day (yikes). It can last for hours or even days depending on various factors such as your diet, age and overall health.
Types of diarrhea
Not all runs are the same – did you know there are multiple types? These include acute diarrhea which lasts less than two weeks and chronic diarrhea which lasts longer than four weeks (that’s a long time to be sitting on the throne).
Other types of diarrhea
- Infectious: AKA something nasty has invaded your body causing inflammation.
- Functional: The intestinal tract isn’t functioning normally due to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Exudative: Caused by excess protein in stool from inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) like Crohn’s Disease.
- Secretory: Usually caused by viral infections like norovirus.
What causes liquid poop?
Now onto the juicy stuff – why does everything feel like water when I go #2?
There are many reasons why someone might experience this delightful feeling including:
Some people may find consuming certain foods such as dairy products (I’m sorry cheese lovers) or artificial sweeteners results in runny business.
Viruses & Bacteria
Viruses like norovirus or bacteria found in contaminated food/water can result in an unpleasant bathroom trip that will make anyone cancel their dinner plans .
If you’ve recently started a new medication, chances are they could be messing with your digestive system causing an upset stomach, nausea and diarrhea. Consult your doctor before stopping any prescribed medication.
Stress can impact us in many ways, including the ol’ poop shoot. It’s not uncommon for people with anxiety to experience this type of reaction from their body when they’re feeling uneasy or stressed out (been there, done that).
How do I stop watery stools?
Good news! Most cases of liquid diarrhea will pass within a few days without any trouble. Stay hydrated and avoid consuming heavy foods until it has passed. Here are some tips on how to deal with this messy situation:
While you may feel like eating toast or unseasoned chicken is the way to go during tough times like these, there are plenty of options available that won’t have you snoring by noon time!
- Bananas: Packed full of potassium which is great for preventing dehydration.
- Applesauce: Easy to digest and high in pectin which can help firm up bowel movements.
- White rice: The fiber content found in brown rice may be too harsh on an irritated belly so try making yourself plain white rice instead!
- Cracker/Saltines: Whatever you do don’t eat them all at once! These little guys will keep your spirits lifted while keeping fuel light/less oily!
Pro-tip Avoid fatty/greasy food/drinks such as milkshakes (sorry burger lovers). Anything containing caffeine should also be avoided due to its diuretic effects (caffeine withdrawal headaches are better than having liquid poop all day amiright?).
Adding probiotics into your daily diet (hello yogurt) or taking supplements could potentially improve gut flora; useful if antibiotics were used recently for instance..
Drink lots of fluid especially water/ electrolyte drinks (think Gatorade).Avoid juices and sodas during this period to take some strain off your digestive tract. (Water>coffee when BMS are involved)
If the diarrhea is caused by an infection, antibiotics may be necessary. However, it’s important to consult a doctor and only take prescribed medication.
In conclusion you should know that loose bowels from time to time happen to everyone; it’s natural! These helpful tips can aid in reducing the discomfort (and embarrassment) liquid poop brings along with it.
Just remember not to worry too much – you’ll get through this shit sooner than later.
Hey there, I’m Dane Raynor, and I’m all about sharing fascinating knowledge, news, and hot topics. I’m passionate about learning and have a knack for simplifying complex ideas. Let’s explore together!
- Why are there no wheaties in the store?
- Quick and Easy: Cook Frozen Chicken Quarters in Instant Pot!
- What is salt powder?
- Can i give my dog benadryl while she is pregnant?
- At what age can you apply for medicare benefits?
- Mastering IRS Form 709: Your Ultimate Guide for Accurate Reporting!
- Does vitamin c help with uti?
- What Is 165 Pounds In Kg?
- Bye Bye Love Quotes: Finding Inspiration Beyond Cliches
- How to know if you fractured your rib?
- Are Mcdonalds Chips Suitable For Vegetarians?
- The Privilege of Growing Old: Cherishing Every Moment