Where can i buy valacyclovir?
Compare prices, print coupons and get savings tips for Valacyclovir (Generic Valtrex) and other Shingles, Herpes, and Cold Sores drugs at CVS, Walgreens, and other pharmacies. Prices start at $17.76
How much valacyclovir can I take? Valacyclovir is also used to treat primary outbreaks of cold sores, or oral herpes. The standard dosage of valacyclovir for managing a primary oral herpes outbreak is 2,000 mg every 12 hours for one day (two doses in total).
How long do you take valacyclovir? Valacyclovir is usually prescribed for seven days for shingles, with a typical dosage of 1,000 mg three times per day.
Can I take Valtrex daily? Valtrex can clear up an active herpes outbreak if taken early enough. Some people take Valtrex daily to prevent outbreaks, which is called daily suppressive therapy. You can still infect others if you are on Valtrex. However, daily Valtrex has been shown to reduce transmission to sexual partners by about half.
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose. Take your next dose at the regular time. Do not double the dose to catch up.
If someone has overdosed and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing, call 911. Otherwise, call a poison control center right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center. Symptoms of overdose may include: change in the amount of urine, extreme tiredness, mental/mood changes, loss of consciousness, seizures.
How to use?How to use?
- Read the Patient Information Leaflet if available from your pharmacist before you start taking valacyclovir and each time you get a refill
- If you have any questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist
- Take valacyclovir by mouth, with or without food, as directed by your doctor
- Drink plenty of fluids while taking this medication to lower the chance of side effects
- The dosage and length of treatment are based on your type of infection, medical condition, and response to treatment
- For treating chickenpox in children, the dosage is also based on weight
- This medication works best when started at the first sign of an outbreak, as directed by your doctor
- It may not work as well if you delay treatment
- For shingles or chickenpox, start taking valacyclovir at the first symptom or as soon as possible after the rash appears
- For cold sores or genital herpes, start taking this medication at the first sign or as soon as you feel tingling, itching, or burning
- Valacyclovir works best when the amount of medicine in your body is kept at a constant level
- Therefore, take this drug at evenly spaced intervals
- To help you remember, take it at the same time(s) each day
- Continue to take this medication until the full prescribed amount is finished
- Do not change your dose, skip any doses, or stop this medication early without your doctor’s approval
- Tell your doctor if your condition persists or worsens.
What is Valtrex?What are side effects of Valtrex?Any warnings while using Valtrex?What conditions does Valtrex treat?What precautions to take with Valtrex?Does Valtrex interact with any drugs?
For informational purposes only. Consult a medical professional for advice.
Reviewed by a panel of doctors. Source: First Databank
Was this helpful?Can I take valacyclovir and drink alcohol? Valacyclovir suppresses the immune system, besides other things. Drinking alcohol puts unnecessary strain on the already marginalized immune system and further increases th risks associated with suppressed immunity. Stay away from alcohol while taking this medication.
How is the half life of valacyclovir? During hemodialysis, the half-life of acyclovir after administration of Valacyclovir tablets is approximately 4 hours . About one-third of acyclovir in the body is removed by dialysis during a 4-hour hemodialysis session.
Does valacyclovir Make you Sleepy? Drowsiness is found among people who take Valtrex, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Lyrica, and have High blood pressure.
How much of acyclovir should I take per day? The usual dose is 20 milligrams (mg) per kilogram (kg) of body weight, taken three times a day for 5 days. However, the dose is usually not more than 1000 mg three times a day. Adults-2000 milligrams (mg) every 12 hours for one day.