What shampoo to use for hard water?
Are you tired of your hair feeling like straw after every wash? Does it seem like no matter what shampoo you use, your locks just won’t cooperate? Well fear not my dear friends, for I have the solution to all of your hard water woes! In this article, we will be exploring the best shampoos to use when dealing with hard water, and trust me when I say there are some real gems out there that will make you love your hair again!
The Root of the Problem
Before diving into which shampoos work best on hard water, let’s first understand why exactly it causes such havoc on our precious manes. Put simply, hard water is caused by an abundance of minerals such as calcium and magnesium in our tap supply. When these minerals interact with soap or shampoo, they form a scummy deposit known as soap curd. This buildup can be difficult to remove from our hair without specialized products.
So now that we know about this pesky soap curd issue let’s dive deeper into its effects:
- Dull Hair
- Dry Scalp
- Stripped Hair Color
- Breakage & Split Ends
Some things need drastic measures (cue dramatic music). But do not worry; finding the right shampoo is easier than getting rid of [crazy ex partner].
Hot Finding: Best Shampoos for Hard Water Build-Up
Knowing how important picking up the right shampoo can be stressful (trust us), so we’ve done some research and compiled a list of tried-and-tested formulas suitable for building up under harsh conditions such as living in areas with high mineral content:
- AG Hair Moisture Fast Food Sulfate-Free Shampoo – Known as one miracle worker product among those who are cursed blessed enough to live in hard-watered areas.
- Malibu C Hard Water Wellness Shampoo – Say goodbye to all that buildup and bring on the shine with this incredible shampoo.
- Pureology Purify Shampoo – For an exceptionally clean feel, try out the Purify Shampoo from Pureology.
- Klorane Anti-Brass Purple Shampoo – End dull colored hair once and for all! Your tresses deserve better!
- Joico K-Pak Chelating Shampoo – This cult favorite has been dominating TikTok feeds everywhere You’ll thank us later (wink).
Pick Me Ups
But there’s more! A good conditioner (or a leave-in conditioner) can do wonders for your locks as well so we have brought you three below $10 conditioners that will save your day:
- Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Leave-In Conditioner –
Cheap does not mean low quality here, this leave-in is packed with ingredients such as peppermint oil, apple cider vinegar and jojoba oil can help clarify your mane giving a softer look.
- Radiant Shine Conditioner – Cue in some Bollywood vibes or just let’s focus on its incredible formula containing olives (!), rosemary leaves(!!), lemongrass (!!).
- TRESemmé Bowtiful Leave In Detangler Spray – Let’s call it our miracle spray packed vitamins to untangle those knots.
Before jumping into anything though we highly recommend getting a water softener installed Learn how ionic exchange units soften up hard water by extracting magnesium and calcium minerals through replacing them with minerals like potassium . The next thing would be determining what type of scalp you have which mostly involves finding between With oily scalp vs dandruff issues?
Oily Scалp Vs Dandruff Issues
If you’re blessed enough to share experiences of overproducing natural scalp oils causing greasy-looking hair then consider following up with the shampoo/conditioners that contain tea-tree oil. Tea tree oіl has antіbacterial propertіes providing a relieving feel to oily scalps.
If you’re more of an itchy scalp (hello dandruff) kinda gal, consider reaching for one containing ketoconazole or pyrithione zinc in its ingredients list instead Note: when treating any medical condition through shampoos/ingredients always consult your doctor.
At this point, we hope you got some good answers and ideas about what shampoo is best suited for hard water build-up when aiming towards having thoroughly cleansed locks that look full of life again! While choosing the right product comes down to personal preference and hair type, there are a few things anyone can keep in mind.
First off; don’t let mineral deposits get you down!. Second, get on board with our picks and give them a test go! Trust us they’ll become new staples.
Third ; Get that much-needed shine back into those tresses by using a deep conditioner once every week or two.
Lastly; Always read up before adding anything to your routine as at times picking out the wrong element could lead to permanent damage! Choose wisely.