When it comes to managing type 2 diabetes, there are several medications available in the market today. One such medication that has gained popularity in recent years is Xigduo.
Xigduo is a combination of two medications, dapagliflozin and metformin, that work together to help lower blood glucose levels in adults with type 2 diabetes. These medications work differently to help control blood sugar levels in the body. Dapagliflozin works by helping the kidneys to get rid of glucose from the body, while metformin helps to reduce the amount of glucose produced in the liver and also helps the body to use insulin more effectively.
What is a generic drug?
Before we dive into the discussion about whether there is a generic version of Xigduo available or not, let’s first understand what a generic drug is.
A generic drug is a medication that is equivalent to a brand-name drug in terms of dosage, strength, quality, route of administration, and intended use. The key difference between a generic drug and a brand-name drug is the cost. Generic drugs are usually cheaper than brand-name drugs.
Is there a generic version of Xigduo available?
As of now, there is no generic version of Xigduo available in the market. Xigduo is still under patent protection, which means that the manufacturer, AstraZeneca, has the exclusive right to manufacture and sell the medication until the patent expires.
How long is the patent protection for Xigduo?
The patent for Xigduo is set to expire in 2027. This means that no other company can manufacture and sell a generic version of Xigduo until the patent expires.
Are there any alternatives to Xigduo?
Yes, there are several alternative medications that work similarly to Xigduo and are available in the market today. These medications include:
- Jardiance (empagliflozin)
- Invokana (canagliflozin)
- Glyxambi (empagliflozin and linagliptin)
- Xultophy (insulin degludec and liraglutide)
It’s important to note that even though these medications work similarly to Xigduo, they may have different side effects and risks. Therefore, it’s crucial to discuss with your healthcare provider to choose the medication that is best suited for your needs.
What is the cost of Xigduo?
As with any medication, the cost of Xigduo can vary depending on a variety of factors, such as the dosage, duration of treatment, and insurance coverage. In general, the cost of Xigduo can range between $500 to $600 for a 30-day supply.
Does insurance cover the cost of Xigduo?
Most insurance plans do cover the cost of Xigduo, but the coverage and copayments can vary widely. It’s important to check with your insurance provider to understand your coverage options.
What are the side effects of Xigduo?
As with any medication, Xigduo can cause side effects. The most common side effects of Xigduo include:
- Genital yeast infections in males and females
- Urinary tract infections
- Increased urination
- Skin rash
- Stomach upset or diarrhea
- Low blood sugar levels (when used with insulin or sulfonylureas)
It’s important to talk to your healthcare provider if you experience any of these side effects or any other unusual symptoms.
Can Xigduo be taken during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
Xigduo has not been studied in pregnant or breastfeeding women. Therefore, it’s important to discuss with your healthcare provider before taking Xigduo if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding.
In conclusion, Xigduo is still under patent protection, and there is no generic version available in the market. However, there are several alternative medications that work similarly to Xigduo and are available in the market today. It’s important to discuss with your healthcare provider to choose the medication that is best suited for your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are some frequently asked questions and their answers related to the topic of “Is there a generic for Xigduo?”:
- Q. Can I take Xigduo with other medications?
- A. Before taking Xigduo with other medications, it’s important to talk to your healthcare provider, as some medications may interact with Xigduo, causing unwanted side effects or reducing the effectiveness of the medication.
- Q. Can Xigduo be used to treat type 1 diabetes?
- A. No, Xigduo is not approved for the treatment of type 1 diabetes.
- Q. Can Xigduo be used with insulin?
- A. Yes, Xigduo can be used in combination with insulin. However, it’s important to talk to your healthcare provider before taking Xigduo with insulin, as it may increase the risk of low blood sugar levels.
- Q. Can Xigduo be taken without food?
- A. Xigduo should be taken with food to avoid stomach upset.
- Q. How long does it take for Xigduo to start working?
- A. Xigduo starts working within a few hours of taking the first dose. However, it may take several weeks to see the full effects of the medication.
- AstraZeneca. (2019). Xigduo XR. Retrieved from https://www.xigduoxr.com/
- Mayo Clinic. (2021). Dapagliflozin and metformin (Oral route). Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/dapagliflozin-and-metformin-oral-route/description/drg-20476460