Are you wheezing with worry about your little one’s cough? Could it be something as scary as asthma? Or is it just a case of the more common and less harmful croup?
Let’s take a closer look at these two respiratory conditions, their symptoms, causes, and treatment options. Buckle up because we are in for some fun!
Coughs and colds: The perennial problem
Before delving into the world of croup and asthma, let’s first talk about what most parents have faced – having to deal with never-ending colds and persistent coughs that refuse to leave.
While these do not necessarily indicate any serious underlying problems or diseases, they can certainly be frustrating for everyone involved. As an expert in churning up deadly rhymes (read ’em on my dime), I know this feeling all too well.
What causes coughing anyway?
A few things trigger our body’s reflexive action known as coughing:
- Irritants such as smoke or fumes
- An infection
- Allergies or environmental factors
- Acid reflux
Too much spice doesn’t play nice!
The purpose of coughing is to clear out anything causing irritation from our airways. That could explain why those nasty allergy-induced sniffles don’t seem to be disappearing anytime soon.
Say hello to croup
Croup is a viral “infection” which results in swelling around voice box, windpipe (trachea) & lungs’ smallest branches(another rhyme right there).
Oh yes folks! Just when you thought rainbows and unicorns were real… nope! You get something called CROUP. Here’s what you need to know about this regular but weird-sounding ailment:
Symptoms Of Croup:
Here are some pointers to help identify croup:
- Low-grade fever
- Cold-like symptoms (runny nose, sore throat)
- Loud and harsh cough that sounds like a seal barking or the laugh of an evil villain…
- Difficulty in breathing, especially when inhaling
- A high-pitched sound on inhalation (called stridor)
Parents everywhere gasp in shock as they realised how eerily similar these each of above point is to your average hangover.
Causes Of Croup:
In most cases, croup will resolve by itself within three days but here are some factors that might trigger it quicker:
- Viruses: Most commonly caused by parainfluenza viruses.
- Age: Mainly affects kids between 6 months – 3 years old due to their airways being small & developing rapidly.
What Treatments Are Available For Croup?
If it’s just mild croup with no significant breathing difficulty then,
- Try steam treatment. Close the bathroom doors and run a hot shower for five minutes so your child can breathe in the warm moist air.
The other way of treating this ailment does not require mystical healing powers straight outta Hogwarts.
Moderate to severe case
Creams! No, Just kidding. Please don’t burn me alive!
Anxiety levels rising? Here are few things that could be done:
- Medications such as oral Dexamethasone or nebulized Epinephrine under doctor’s prescription could offer relief from inflammation reducing swelling around voice box/ windpipe leading to ease in breathing.
Keep Calm & Do As Directed By Your Doctor (Please).
Asthma And Its Association With Croup
Asthma is one condition where narrowing/thickening/swelling of bronchial tubes makes respiration difficult & thus resulting often results in wheezing/difficulty-breathing which worsens with triggers such as infections or allergies.
Symptoms Of Asthma
Some common asthma symptoms to look out for are:
- Wheezing with every inhale & exhale.
- Excessive coughing, especially at night
- Persistent tightness in chest leading to shortness of breath
‘Remember when you thought sneaking up on your friends and jumping on their back from mid-air was a good idea?’
Causes Of Asthma
Here’s what could be behind that pesky lung condition affecting so many people around the world:
- Environment: Pollution, Mold/Fungal spores/ pet dander/dust mites etc.
- Food Items (A strong tug between Taco Bell or home food)
- Weather changes (Rainy weather= higher humidity / Cold Climate). #weathertherocksaysso
Treatment For Asthma
Now comes the most crucial bit. Shall we?
There is no cure for asthma but keeping your environment clean as well developing healthier habits can often come in handy. Here are some remedies:
Medication: Inhaled corticosteroids or bronchodilators open airways by inhibiting swelling.
Reduction in weight loss ( hooray Gym Goers !), avoiding triggering agents such as cold environments , pollen & dust exposure would assist greatly.
So, Is Croup A Sign of Asthma? Drum rolls Please…
Nope(not even gonna start rapping again): croup isn’t a sign of asthma per se but if someone has already been diagnosed with asthma, they might be more prone to getting croup due to narrower air passages than those who don’t have preexisting breathing issues.
It’s true; having one puts you at greater risk for similar conditions later down the road like say hopping after going through socks rather than just wearing them normally .(Okay that last bit was too far, I’m sorry!)
When it comes to respiratory conditions such as croup and asthma, early recognition of symptoms is the key. So, properly identify the problem & then treat it accordingly.
That’s all for now folks! Don’t let the coughs bog you down; stay safe, healthy and of course… Weird (Sorry within 2000 words there had to be at least one weird reference).
Stay Safe Folks!
Hey there, I’m Dane Raynor, and I’m all about sharing fascinating knowledge, news, and hot topics. I’m passionate about learning and have a knack for simplifying complex ideas. Let’s explore together!
- The Cost of Installing a Heat Pump: Unveiling the Expenses
- How to loosen impacted feces?
- Which benefit of quitting tobacco occurs three months after quitting?
- Can t catch deep breath?
- Tuve relaciones hace 5 dias puedo saber si estoy embarazada?
- What is the best water pill?
- What Are Hashbrowns? Unraveling the Delicious Mysteries of Shredded Potato Breakfast Delights!
- Is lavender oil bad for you?
- Bulk or Cut: The Ultimate Fitness Dilemma
- How to treat after tooth extraction?
- How to never throw up again?