How to strengthen glutes for lower back pain?
As a society, we spend too much time sitting down. We sit at work, on our commutes, and in front of the TV. As a result, many of us suffer from lower back pain, and it really is a pain in the gluteus maximus.
The thing is – strong glutes help support your lower back. So if you want to kiss that nagging ache goodbye without resorting to expensive chiropractic treatments or dodgy back-cracking Youtube videos, read on.
What Causes Lower Back Pain
Before we dive into how to strengthen those bums, let’s take a look at what can cause lower back pain:
- Poor posture
- Sedentary lifestyle (sitting for long periods)
- Weak muscles in core and bottom area
- Obesity or rapid weight gain
- Overdoing exercise or incorrect form while lifting heavy weights
Remember that whilst these are common causes of lower back pains; there could be underlying physical issues which would require professional medical attention.
Reasons Why Strong Glutes Help Support Your Lower Back
Who knew that having perky cheeks could have such hidden benefits?
Your body isn’t intentionally trying to sabotage itself by causing you immense pain just for funsies, There’s actually an anatomical explanation behind why strengthening your glutes will alleviate some pressure off your poor old spine:
1) The muscles in your posterior chain – think hamstrings, quadriceps and yes…glute max work together like cheerleaders supporting each other during formations – if one muscle is not doing their fair share then they throw off the whole routine!
2) Stronger muscles around weakened areas provide additional support when performing movements such as bending over.
3) When Situations arise where most people may end up slumping forward or feel fatigued after standing all day due to poor posture, strong glutes can assist in maintaining an upright stance, lessening the load on your lower back.
‘Glute’ Workouts To Train Your Bum
Now we’re getting to the meat (or Tofu)- of this article. Here are five bum-burning exercises that will help strengthen those cheeks:
1) Squats – They work all major muscles in your body with a focus on the posterior chain including Back and core when done correctly
2) Deadlifts – Just…wow .. These activate almost every muscle group in your body like no other exercise but require perfect technique.
3) Lunges – perform forward or reverse lunges with free weights as resistance to improve strength
4) Sideways band walks- With a resistance loop just above knees take lateral steps side-to-side for ultimate burn
5) Hip Thrusts/Glute Bridges- great if you have unstable knees and struggle with heavier loads
Remember form is key! Almost worse than not working out at all is doing it sloppily, risking injury whilst reaping none of the benefits. Consider hiring a coach or PT As they will pay attention to detail by giving supportive verbal cues along with intuitive corrective tips post-performance.
Strengthen Your Body Yielding Longer Term Results
A workout alone isn’t going to instantly cure years of wear and tear on our backs. Following up these workouts with athletic stretching: prolonged holding/restoring movements which increase flexibility along active areas over time would limit injury while helping develop mind-body awareness.. Also consider integrating some endorphin-producing cardiovascular activities such running/cycling/swimming; Encouraging blood flow to aid muscular recovery from training sessions
All good things come in moderation though right? Ensure adequate rest periods between training weeks allowing sufficient healing times for muscle repair/growth cycles may vary so don’t compare routines just listen to what works best for you!
There you have it – a brief fun-filled guide on improving your lower back pain with glute-strengthening exercises. Remember to approach fitness as something sustainable rather than aiming for short term fixes which will continue affecting your life in the long run.
Instead, take inspiration from all those youngsters showing off their lumbar support skills whilst twerking; better use of our behinds leads to less moans and groans resulting in happier folks=)