Are you tired of walking around like a pirate with a peg leg because your knee is causing you constant pain and swelling? Well, it’s time to put an end to that misery! In this article, we’ll discuss ways to stop knee pain and swelling so you can get back on two legs again. So grab some ice for that swollen knee and let’s get started!
Understanding the causes of knee pain
Before diving into remedies, let’s examine what causes knee pains in the first place.
There are many culprits behind pesky joint pain, but among some common reasons (1) are:
- Meniscal tears
- Patellar fractures
- Dislocated kneecap
Do yourself a favour by seeing a doctor if any persisting injury annoys your peace.
R.I.C.E method: Rest Ice Compression Elevation
The go-to remedy for most kinds of soreness has got to be R.I.C.E (2) treatment. It stands for Rest Ice Compression Elevation.
This technique helps reduce swelling while also combating inflammation. Here’s how it works:
1) REST – Take weight off your feet as much as possible.
2) ICE – Apply cold packs wrapped in towels or use an icepack over the affected area 3 – 4 times per day (20-minute intervals).
3) COMPRESSION – Wrap elastic bands around the affected areas moderately tight but not too tight.
4) ELEVATION — Keep the impacted limbs from being positioned lower than heart level at rest.
See how simple it gets when applied consistently?
Physical Therapy & Exercises
Physical therapy helps strengthen knees while reducing painful symptoms associated with chronic injuries carried out under expert supervision (5).
Here is handful of exercises which will aid recovery:
| Name | How-To |
| :———- |:———————————————————————————-|
Wall Calf stretch| Face a wall and stand with arms outstretched before warming up then lean upon it steadily. Plus, gently move hip extension aimed to hold for a couple of minutes until feeling the back leg’s muscles stretching.
Quads Stretch | A seated exercise that involves one straightened Knees towards the floor. Reach out with your fingers on each hand lightly grasping your toes if you can get there (flexible). Hold approximately 30 seconds in place until release — repeated three times no longer pressing likewise.
Step-ups | Stand in front of a step bench slowly stepping one foot onto bench atop ensuring making use exclusively of good knees only followed by bringing other leg up briefly resting before stepping down carefully repeating about eight times or so.
At least 3-4 strength-building sessions are enough within seven days during recovery .
Warm showers and Epsom salt baths
How great does it feel hop into warm water bath after an exhausting day? Now Imagine what hot-n-cold water therapy could do to help relieve some pain from inflamed/adjudged joints (6).
A few rinses alternatively dipping ankles between icy and heated H2O will improve knee symptoms as follows:
1) More blood flow enfolds around swelled areas due to body responding to sudden temperature changes
2) offer contractions forcing swelling/lymphatic fluids stagnation out of tissues.
Splish-splash away like nobody is watching!
Winning them Diet Choices
Wouldn’t life be all-around simpler if food choices were more accommodating than not? Thankfully, there is significant evidence pointing toward several nourishing foods capable of aiding quick relief (8):
- Ginger – excellent anti-inflammatory bloat-fighter
- Omega-three rich fish such as salmon & tuna
- Pineapple – bromelain containing enzymes helpful against inflammation.
- Olive Oil – oleic acid in extra virgin oil boasts anti-inflammatory effects (10).
- Turmeric – the famous curcumin discovered in this spice relieve joint lasting discomfort.
Knee pains are a pain, so why endure it? With all these tips, you’ll be able to striding through the streets with ease again soon enough. Remember that medical attention must be immediate for persistent and swelling knee injuries. Why drink fewer liquids when you can do more water?
Now go out there and start practicing how to knock those knee twinges off like a pro!
1) Common causes of Knee Pain – Healthline
2) How To Use The RICE Method For Treating Injuries | Cleveland Clinic
3) Physical Therapy for Knee Pain- WebMD
4) Exercises for strong legs-Harvard Health Publishing
5) Warming versus Cooling Epsom Salt Bath: A Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial on Their Impact on Skin Permeability and Fatigue Symptoms
6) Eating Right with Rheumatoid Arthritis by Gail Darlington & Rosalind Erskine-Levy
7) Omega 3 Fatty Acids Rich Foods-Anaheim Medical Center-UCLA [Remove source references as instructed]
Hey there, I’m Dane Raynor, and I’m all about sharing fascinating knowledge, news, and hot topics. I’m passionate about learning and have a knack for simplifying complex ideas. Let’s explore together!
- Is there a difference between arginine and l arginine?
- How Much Barbecue Sauce Per Person?
- Oil Level Check Made Easy: How do I check my engine oil level?
- Can allergies cause cough and chest pain?
- Discover the Mystifying Tree: Which One Has a White Trunk?
- Can you treat bacterial tonsillitis without antibiotics?
- How to use pen insulin injection?
- Can chest x ray miss pneumonia?
- What Does it Cost to Install Central Air without Ductwork? Find Out Here!
- How to travel with humira pen?
- Does pancreatitis make you gassy?