We’ve all heard of the old adage, “you are what you eat.” But for some people with medical conditions, eating is not always that easy. They may require a nasogastric (NG) tube – a thin, flexible tube that goes through your nose and down into your stomach. This allows them to receive nutrition, medication or hydration without relying on solid foods.
However, as with any medical procedure, taking care of an NG tube requires precision and patience. Flushing the tube is one such task, and it can be tricky if you don’t know what you’re doing. In this article, we’ll explain everything there is to know about flushing an NG tube so that you never have to ask anyone how again!
Before we dive into details on how to flush out an NG Tube successfully let’s first provide clarity around its purpose &, benefits:
What is an NG Tube?
As mentioned earlier in our introduction section – An NG tube stands for Nasogastric Tube, which means it enters your body via your nostril directly aiming towards your stomach lining.
Why prefer having food through the Nose rather than orally?
- The oral route may be obstructed due gastrointestinal surgeries/treatments
- So as to give rest i.e nothing (or minimal amount of food) reaching straight from patients mouth & throat area.
- Also for those having incapacity in terms of swallowing issues are fulfilled via providing essential nutrients/hydration using tubes.
With that said; Without further ado; Let’s get straight into our primary topic today – How To Flush An N.G TUBE
Tools Needed For Flushing An N.G tUBE
Before starting off flushing-out procedures mandatory tools required :
- Sterile gloves
- A syringe preferably catheter tip 60 ml syringe if an adult in consideration or for child patients, one could use syringes between the ranges of 3ml -50 ml.
- Water/Saline Solution
We always insist on keeping extra necessary supplies as well just in case there is a need as it would simplify your job.
Flushing N.G Tube Plan
Follow these steps to efficiently flush out the tube:
- Begin with washing your hands getting rid of all unwanted germs hoping our common sense has saved us from COVID by now.
- Afterward, put on sterile gloves to keep the process hygienic & safe
- Take the Syringe you’ve got, and tie properly to pass air into ear said ang tube creating sufficient suction so that cleaning becomes simpler ultimately making flushing easier alike climbing up a mountain having ropes for help instead of covering bare-handed cuz who wants blisters!
- As soon as done tipping aim bringing down water towards feeding area via tube.
- Always use clean saline solution/water(again.. emphasize importance through repetition) while doing this task considering spills affect hygiene compromising activity itself
6 . Lastly but most importantly make sure everything is clear before finishing up cleaning schedule i.e Checking whether residuals still exist or not ensuring thoroughness.
While carrying out these core-washing-process steps below are few other imperative things which come handy along their respective benefits listed below :
Tip #1: One should prefer gravity feeding installations over pumps since pumps tend stick to inside wall-blockages
Why? The chances of blockage formation for internal walls are lesser when setting-up Gravity-feeding installation compared-to Pumps used some minor difference can have major impacts thus must be kept in mind!
Tip #2: Compress-release-compression technique helps achieve better flow-suction during clearing residue :
During flushing stage; Try doing compression along with releasing suction repeatedly in a consistent pattern as it does not allow any residuals to be left-out even though can be time-consuming using this technique gives an edge of time-efficiency.
Now that we are done with what is needed and how best to flush the tube let’s finish off by summarizing salient aspects discussed –
- Use sterile gloves.
- Saline Solution/Water utilized
- Syringe size may vary, likely 60 +ml for adults & max capacity ranges from 3-50 ml for kids
- Replacement Equipment handy just-in case
- Compression-release-compression rhythmic movement increases efficiency during flushing
- Gravity feeding helps prevent blockages : Always!
Putting roughly flushed-information boiling down to essential points clears out things saving you a lot more energy while still driving home the most vital information required.
The level of precision required for NG Tuning tasks should never be underrated or overlooked; many factors including hygiene and accuracy come into play so essential care must always take place when carrying out alimentary procedures like flushing as well regardless of whether personal pacemakers require them.
Hopefully, our guide sheds enough light on top must-haves/steps one cannot ignore thus ensuring tables confidence resolving priority precautions calibrating flawless activity delivering suitable nutrition/hydration without facing barriers due to imperfections during treatments via wholesome tips/procedures included in discussing How To Flush n.g tubes!
Hey there, I’m Dane Raynor, and I’m all about sharing fascinating knowledge, news, and hot topics. I’m passionate about learning and have a knack for simplifying complex ideas. Let’s explore together!
- Can thrush go away without medication?
- Discover the Size Potential of Lab Mixes: How Big Do They Get?
- What Does Glycolic Acid Toner Do For Skin?
- Can cod liver oil help with constipation?
- How to stop your stomach from making noises?
- Unleash Your Creativity: A Guide to Painting Furniture – What Paint is Best?
- Will Star Wars Battlefront 2 Finally Bring Instant Action?
- How to make spice?
- Discover the Vibrant Autumn Beauty: When Do Leaves Change in Georgia?
- What medications treat lupus?
- Where to buy black salt kala namak?
- What is the best medicine for bell’s palsy?