If you’re one of the brave souls who decided to adorn your septum with some flashy jewelry, congrats! You’re killing it. But now comes the hard part – keeping that sucker clean. As anyone with a piercing knows, crust buildup is an icky (yet inevitable) side effect of rocking some hardware on your face. Luckily for you, we’ve got all the tips and tricks on how to nip that nastiness in the bud.
The First Rule of Fight Club: Always Wash Your Hands Before Touching Your Piercing
Before we dive into cleaning methods, let’s talk about hygiene basics. Dirty hands = dirty piercings (and maybe even infection if you’re not careful). So before touching your septum or anything related to its care and upkeep, wash those paws with soap and warm water.
Warm Salt Water Soaks are Your Friend
One of the most effective ways to get rid of that pesky crust is by using a warm salt water soak (DIY saline solution ftw). Here’s what you’ll need:
- A clean cup
- Non-iodized sea salt or kosher salt
- Warm distilled water (tap water can contain impurities)
Now follow these steps:
- Mix together 1/4 teaspoon of salt per 8 oz. or one cup hot water in your clean cup.
- Dip your nose into it so that only your nostrils are submerged.
- Lean forward so that one nostril is lower than the other.
- Stay put for at least 5 minutes.
- Repeat as needed once or twice daily until all crusties have vanished into thin air!
Nostril Balm It Up Baby!
Your nasal mucosa will be thanking us after this next tip – use a nose balm/butter/ointment. Keeping the skin moist is crucial when it comes to piercing care. An overly dry piercing can cause irritation and contribute to crust buildup. Here’s what you need:
- A good nostril balm/butter/ointment (pick your poison)
- Cotton swabs/Q-tips
Here’s how to do it:
- Rinse your nostrils with warm water and pat dry.
- Apply a small amount of nostril balm/butter/ointment to both sides using a cotton swab/Q-tip.
- Repeat twice daily or as needed.
Don’t Overdo It With The Piercing Piercing Spray
As tempting as it may be, less is more when it comes to piercing aftercare sprays (especially if they contain alcohol). While these products are designed for cleansing and disinfecting your septum, overuse can actually backfire by stripping away natural oils that keep the tissue hydrated.
Instead, use a saline spray specifically formulated for piercings – this will help flush out debris without harming sensitive tissues in the process.
Be Picky About Your Jewelry Materials
If you have recurrent crust build-up that just won’t quit no matter how clean you keep things, you might be having an allergic reaction or sensitivity issue (sniffles). One solution could be upgrading/downgrading/completely changing jewelry materials!
Materials like surgical steel, gold, titanium are less likely going cause sensitivities compared to plastics or low-quality metals (which we call ‘trash’ around here).
But hey! Changing jewelry isn’t an excuse avoid cleaning methods discussed here – make sure poor hygiene isn’t the root cause before blaming fash-on(TM).
Last Resort Solution: Visiting Your Olde Faithfuls (Doctors)
In some cases where redness/swelling/pain signals infection/allergic reactions/got poked pretty fairly injury– visit an expert GASP. Doctors see piercings issues all the time and can always give proper advice/solutions.
Quick Warning: please avoid doing anything drastic before consulting an expert(even if you think you’re really brave!), trust us we’ve seen it all!
Recap – Don’t Also Scrub Your Face With Liquid Soap
It’s important to clean using warm salt water soaks, embrace nostril balms/butters/etc., be picky about jewelry materials, not overdo piercing aftercare spray usage, and only seek medical attention if things go south.
So there you have it! Our comprehensive (and dare I say hilarious) guide on how to get rid of crusties from your septum piercing. Happy cleaning!
Hey there, I’m Dane Raynor, and I’m all about sharing fascinating knowledge, news, and hot topics. I’m passionate about learning and have a knack for simplifying complex ideas. Let’s explore together!
- Is viral cardiomyopathy reversible?
- Why is my pee stream so weak?
- How to be more in the present moment?
- Unlocking Your Potential: Why Ambition Matters
- How To Apply Indigo On Grey Hair?
- Master the Art of Seasoning a Chuck Roast: Your Ultimate Guide
- A Heartwarming Tale of Love: A Short Love Story
- The Ultimate Guide to Caring for Spider Plants in Water
- What’s the difference between a tablespoon and a teaspoon?
- Is it ok to take synthroid at bedtime?