Miralax is a popular medication that is used to treat constipation in adults and children. However, parents are often worried about how much Miralax they should give to their children if they suffer from constipation. This article aims to provide answers to this question.
What is Miralax?
Before we delve into the nitty-gritties of how much miralax one should give their child, we must first understand what it is.
- Miralax (Polyethylene glycol 3350) is an osmotic laxative that works by drawing water into the colon resulting in softer stool increasing bowel movement.
- It’s completely safe for both adults and children but always consult with your physician before use.
- Available over-the-counter without a prescription either as powder packets or liquid form.
Now let’s get down to business:
Determining The Right Dosage
The dosage depends on two factors; age group and body weight, which directly determines the severity of encountered symptoms i.e., degree of blockage.
Miralax dosage amounts come pre-packaged hence determining the correct amount can be overwhelming at times due to continuous changes in body weight over time.
Here’s where things start getting interesting!
- Infants: For babies under six months old or those weighing less than 15 pounds, you shouldn’t give them any Miralax whatsoever! Do not pass go nor collect $200!
- Toddlers: Children aged between six months old up until three years require approximately half the recommended adult dose(8 grams). We suggest starting with around 4grams per day then increase after some days while monitoring any reaction produced by your toddler child; diarrhea for instance.
- Kids older than three years can safely take adult dosages daily however Merely providing larger doses does not expedite improvement instead; it possibly leads to mild side effects.
As a word of caution, as with any medication ensure that your child never exceeds the maximum dose recommended on the label document ^1.
Now let’s jump onto dosage recommendations categorised by body weight.
|MIRALAX Dose for a Severity of Condition||Weight in pounds (lbs)|
|4 grams/day||Less than 48|
|8.5 grams /day||Between 49-95|
|17grams/day||More than 95|
Always consult your paediatrician before giving out medication results vary based on severity
How Often Should I Administer?
Certain treatments require administering each day for long periods or until instructed otherwise. However, consuming too much becomes a recipe for disaster so follow proper administration practices outlined below;
- Use solely as directed by physician or written criteria given upon purchase.
- It may take up to seven days for relief to occur.
- Never use more often orally and simultaneously stop when symptoms fade away.
It’s pertinent to note that overusing Miralax can lead to diarrhoea especially if taken without stopping within three consecutive months.
Can I MixMiralax With Other Medications
We all know how kids love skipping ropes at school however they also engage toddlers in strange activities like ingesting other meds along with Miralax
Most medications do not interact significantly to cause potential harm, but certain combinations make Miralax relatively ineffective while others produce unacceptable severity including severe liver damage; antibiotics , seizures among others^ 
Therefore exercise utmost precaution together with the advice from paediatricians before taking two separate pills concurrently.
In essence, giving children miralax aims at reducing constipation conditions inhibiting bowel movements thereby resulting in softer stools meanwhile keeping the digestive tract healthy .Different doses of Miralax are recommended based on various age groups combined with weight ranges.
As always, consult the paediatricians and doctors before administering any medication to their child. Remember that keeping the drug’s recommended dose limits minimize potential side effects while yielding your desired solution swiftly.
There you have it fellow parents! How much Miralax one could give their infant or toddler shouldn’t be a daunting challenge once you factor in these helpful tips above. Keep constipation at bay as we commiserate over this hurdle that is parenthood!
^ https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21786352/#:~:text=Interestingly%2C some drugs (e.g.%2C,potential for significant drug interactions.
Hey there, I’m Dane Raynor, and I’m all about sharing fascinating knowledge, news, and hot topics. I’m passionate about learning and have a knack for simplifying complex ideas. Let’s explore together!
- How do people develop bpd?
- How To Persuade Someone To Quit Smoking?
- How to use gillette endurance cool wave?
- Why is my blood bright red?
- Does turmeric and ginger raise blood pressure?
- How to make phosphate soda?
- How to fix a knee strain?
- The Paralyzing Fear of Not Knowing
- What is the generic name for viagra in mexico?
- Why does my knee lock up when i bend it?
- How to tape a pulled groin muscle?