A hickey which is also known as a love bite can occur on anyone’s skin specifically a couple that is getting intense and intimate with each other. But, in the first place let us get to know what a hickey is? Basically, it is a bruise that can occur due to suction on the skin of a person. This tends to damage the capillaries of the skin. The blood gets stuck under the skin which shows up into marks which are either red or purple in color, this is exactly what a hickey is. You must be wondering as to how long do hickeys last. Read this guide and get all the details you have been looking for.
Usually, hickeys will last from 4 to 14 days. They will change their color once the blood starts absorbing back into the body.
The natural healing process of hickeys:
- In the start, the hickey will have a reddish appearance and this is because of the blood which has leaked due to the damaged blood vessels.
- Either in a day or more, you will observe that the hickey has begun changing its color. The main reason for this is because hemoglobin is changing its color.
- Then later as days pass you will see that the hickey has started fading away and finally by the second week, it will disappear.
Well, a hickey can be an embarrassment if seen by people. Also, you cannot do much about it. Generally, it is considered to be a minor injury which will heal on its own thus you do not need to stress about it.
Hey, are you ashamed of walking in public with a hickey and don’t know how to go about with it? Well, there is nothing to worry about and you can do something about it as well. So here are a few tips that you can actually consider if you have a hickey on your neck area. Let us see what these things include.
- You can opt for a pink concealer: you will see your hickey starts turning green or yellow as it heals, this is the time you can choose to use a pink concealer. So this will help you in covering the hickey.
- Wear shirts that have a high collar: when you have a hickey on your neck, the best alternative you can opt for is to wear a turtle neck or something that has a high collar. Check the weather and opt for your outfit for the day.
- Why not try some accessories as well? There are some accessories that can help you in concealing your hickey. Also, this will be a little glam up to your outfit which will indeed make you look cute as well as stylish. You can opt for a scarf or even a neck piece but this will depend on the area of your hickey.
Ways to get rid of hickeys
Use a cold ice pack: using an ice pack will definitely be useful when the hickey needs to be healed quickly. It will help in reducing the blood flow that comes out from the broken vessel and will also help in reducing swelling. The ice pack needs to be kept on the affected area for at least 5 to 10 minutes. Apart from that also ensure that you do not rub or touch that area where the hickey is there, it can even cause you inflammation and redness thus causing you discomfort and irritation.
Turn the heat up: you can use a damp cloth which is removed from hot water and place it on your neck, this will also be an effective way in which your hickey can get healing. The hickey might tend to appear very dark in color but then you will notice that it will heal quicker when you use this method.
Aloe Vera: this plant has always been known for its wonders. It acts as a natural moisturizer. Also, it is another effective way by which your hickey can be healed faster. All you need to do is apply a thick layer of Aloe Vera gel on your skin for about 10 minutes and then you can wipe it off. Make sure you use this gel for at least 2 times in a day for better, quicker and effective results.
How can you give hickeys?
Well, giving your partner a hickey is not a difficult task at all. You can choose in which way your partner finds it comfortable to receive the hickey. You can either kiss roughly, suck on the skin or even continuously peck on the skin to give a hickey. But the most passionate way in which one can give their partner a hickey is by sucking tenderly onto their skin.
Firstly, you need to find an appropriate place where you can give your partner a hickey. It is something very passionate and intimate to the couple, so make sure you give it in a place that is not visible to the crowd.
Never get too excited about it and rush. It is an intimate moment for both the partners in the relationship so it is essential that you ask for permission before you make a move. Not everyone is comfortable giving a hickey to their partner. There are chances that your partner is really into you but wouldn’t want to get a hickey due to the discomfort or embarrassment it might cause in the future.
The mark will remain for quite some days to think and consider the situation before you do anything. Also, you need to make sure your partner is in the mood of receiving it. Never force anyone into it but you can always try and build up their mood for it.
Ask your partner which is their comfortable position, you can’t assume that whatever is your comfort will be theirs as well. Always ensure that you respect their wishes and decisions.