Can taking omeprazole cause weight loss?
Weight loss is found among people who take Omeprazole, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 6 – 12 months. The phase IV clinical study analyzes which people take Omeprazole and have Weight loss.
What are the long-term effects of omeprazole? Long-term suppression of stomach acid by omeprazole may cause side effects. Long-term use of omeprazole may cause pancreatitis, according to Drugs.com. Pancreatitis is the inflammation of the pancreas, an organ that produces digestive enzymes important for the digestion of fats and carbohydrates.
Does omeprazole cause loss of appetite? Patients who experience calcium depletion after chronic omeprazole use may notice symptoms such as weakness, lack of energy, loss of appetite and constipation. Other symptoms include nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, bone pain, increased urination.
Does omeprazole make you tired? Proton pump inhibitors, including lansoprazole (Prevacid) and omeprazole (Zegerid, Prilosec), may cause tiredness in some users. These medications also reduce stomach acid production so well that your body cannot efficiently absorb iron and vitamin B-12 from your food.
Does omeprazole raise blood pressure? Some omeprazole drug interactions may also be dangerous for those with blood pressure problems. One of the side effects of omeprazole is an increase in blood level, so some blood pressure medications such as Warfarin and Clopidogrel will be rendered less effective.
- May increase risk of bone fractures.
- May increase risk of bone fractures.
- Call MD now for heartburn with sweating & dizziness
- Call doctor if you get severe diarrhea
- For capsule,delayed release products : Before use, important to read the Medication Guide. Call MD or RPh re. timing of taking with other meds. Take before meals. Swallow whole. Do not break/chew/crush/dissolve. May open capsule. Mix into cool applesauce & swallow.
- For tablet, delayed release products : If available, read the patient package insert. Take with a full glass of water (8 ounces).
- For tablet,disintegrating, delayed release products : Open with dry hands and place tablet on tongue. Place unbroken tablet on tongue to dissolve. Take before meal(s) at same time(s) each day. Before using tell Dr. if you have phenylketonuria. Review all drugs you are taking with your doctor.
What are side effects of Omeprazole?Any warnings while using Omeprazole?Does Omeprazole interact with any drugs?Is Omeprazole contraindicated for any condition?How to use Omeprazole?What if you missed a dose of Omeprazole?
For informational purposes only. Consult a medical professional for advice.
Reviewed by a panel of doctors. Source: First Databank
Was this helpful?Is long term use of omeprazole harmful in anyway? No, long term use of Omeprazole is not safe at all. It blocks the secretion of your stomach acid, and stomach acid has multiple functions in your body, none of which are working properly after Omeprazole kicks in.
How long is too long to take omeprazole? The minimum effective dose for omeprazole is 5 mg per day. Doses should not exceed 120 mg per day and should not be taken for longer than 8 weeks at a time, though some extreme conditions may require up to 500 mg doses.
Is Lipitor safe to use long term? While Lipitor is generally very safe, it may produce side effects, some of which appear with long-term use. Lipitor increases liver enzymes in a small percentage of people, usually within the first few months of therapy. Because the increase is greater with higher doses, Lipitor treatment usually begins with a low dose.
Is it OK to take Prilosec long term? Well, Prilosec has been taken by many individuals for 10 to 15 years at this point. Although there are theoretical concerns about prolonged use, none of these concerns have been realized in the patients who have taken it long term. At this point, long term usage is considered safe.